50+ Health Conditions, Aging, Blog, Degenerative Diseases

Breaking: New Simple Blood Test Diagnoses Early Onset Alzheimer's

breaking-new-simple-blood-tests-diagnoses-early-onset-alzheimers

989974_sAlzheimer’s is rising up in this country, and up til recently there was no way to tell if you were going to have it or not. At the early stage, it is extremely difficult to detect. Unfortunately, once you have noticeable symptoms, it starts getting difficult to manage.

Now, scientists say they have come up with an early detection blood test for Alzheimer’s that has “unparalleled accuracy”. In fact, the test had a 100% accuracy rate overall for the 200 patients in the study. The test was invented by researchers at the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine and Durin Technologies, Inc and the study was published in the journal Alzheimer’s & Dementia: Diagnosis Assessment & Disease Monitoring,

According to the researchers, around 60% of patients who have mild cognitive impairment (MCI) have it as an early stage of Alzheimer’s disease. The other 40% of patients who have MCI have other factors causing it such as depression, side effects from drugs, and vascular problems. This is important because when treating patients, it is helpful to know if the MCI is being caused by early Alzheimer’s or not.

During the study, researchers analyzed the blood of over 200 patients, including 50 MCI patients who had low levels of amyloid beta 42 peptide in their cerebrospinal fluid – an indicator of Alzheimer’s activity in the brain. The scientists then isolated the top 50 autoantibody biomarkers that have the capability to detect early Alzheimer’s activity in these MCI patients, using human protein microarrays. These contained human proteins that were used to attract blood-borne autoantibodies. They had a 100% accuracy result with these 50 biomarkers.

According to Cassandra DeMarshall, lead study author and Ph.D. candidate at the Rowan University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, these results show that it may be possible to use a small number of blood-borne autoantibodies to diagnose Alzheimer’s accurately at the early stages. This would be a very inexpensive and non invasive method to do so, and could help many patients delay the disease for as long as possible with lifestyle changes and medication.

In addition to diagnosing early stage Alzheimer’s, this test was also found to accurately diagnose late stage Alzheimer’s. It was also able to distinguish between Alzheimer’s and other similarly presenting diseases such as Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis and even early stages of breast cancer.

 

Related Post

0 Comments
Share
Tags:

Sarah P

Related Post

Reply your comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *