6 Reasons To Eat Cauliflower Every Day
Cauliflower is a humble, under appreciated vegetable that can add a lot of daily flavor to your everyday meals in surprising ways. For example, creative cooks these days use cauliflower as a healthy substitute for heavier foods, such as mashed potatoes, alfredo sauce, rice, or even pizza crust. All “mock”, of course. But it is so much more than just a substitute. This vegetable also packs a nutritional power punch all by itself. Here are 6 great reasons why you should eat cauliflower every day, or at least as often as you can and want to.
1. Cauliflower is extremely high in antioxidants and phytonutrients that can help your body detoxify itself and even slow down the aging caused by everyday exposure to stress and environmental pollutants. Among others, it contains huge amounts of vitamin C, beta-carotene, cinnamic acid, and guercetin.
2. It could potentially treat cancer with a sulfuric compound called “sulforaphane”, which has been proven to kill cancer cells in lab tests. Additionally there are other compounds in cauliflower like isothiocyanates and indoles that inhibit cancer development.
3. The sulforaphane content in cauliflower has also been found to improve kidney function and blood pressure by a significant amount. It is also helpful to promote healthy cellular function and DNA gene expression.
4. Cauliflower is rich in fiber, which is essential for the health of your digestive tract.
5. It is also rich in a host of other vitamins and minerals, including potassium, magnesium, protein, vitamin K, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, phosphorus, folate and fitamin B6. Additionally, just one serving of cauliflower covers over two thirds of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin C.
6. Cauliflower can make you smarter. It is an extremely good source of choline, which is a B vitamin that plays a vital role in brain development. When taken during pregnancy, choline can help support a developing brain in the areas of cognitive function, improved memory and learning. It could also help to protect your brain from the perils of aging such a memory loss.
So whatever you’re having for dinner tonight, you might want to consider throwing in a side of cauliflower as well.